ORGANIZATIONAL COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS (OCIS)
This year’s OCIS program features a number of engaging PDWs, paper sessions and symposia. These events will be thought provoking for all scholars interested in information systems, communication, technology and organizations.
Of particular interest are:
- PDW “Big Data: Implications for Research on Organizations and Technology” (Saturday, Aug. 6, 8.30-10.30am, Hilton: Catalina 3) will feature panel of researchers and industry experts (incl. Mary Beth Watson-Manheim, Alex Pentland, Noshir Contractor, Heng Xu) engaging in thought leadership on new avenues and methods of inquiry in the big data era.
- PDW “Organizing Work Online with Crowds” (Saturday, Aug. 6, 4.30-6.30pm, Hilton: Catalina 1), chaired by Joe Cox, will feature discussions of models for organizing and managing crowds in commercial versus non-profit settings.
- Paper session “Digital Innovation, Knowledge and Value Creation” (Monday, Aug. 8, 9.45-11.15am, Hilton: Palisades) includes groundbreaking work on value creation, generation of knowledge and the importance of entrepreneurship in digital innovation
- Paper session “New Meanings of Work and Routines with Technology” (Monday, Aug. 8, 11.30am-1pm, Hilton: Malibu) will provide original conceptualizations of work, routines and policies with technology.
- Symposium “Advancing Research on Distributed Virtual Work: New Discoveries and Theoretical developments” (Tuesday, Aug. 9th, 11.30am-1pm, Hilton: Pacific A) will explore new research avenues of virtual work environments.
This year’s Keynote Speaker is Michael Barrett, Cambridge University (Monday, Aug. 8, 4.45pm-6.15pm, Hilton, California A). The OCIS Business meeting will immediately follow (Monday, Aug. 8, 6.15pm-7.15pm, California D). We will present the latest OCIS activities and feature this year’s awards followed by our Social reception (same room)
Do not forget to attend the following work/social events:
- OCIS kick off breakfast (Friday, August 5, 7:30am – 9am Hilton Anaheim, Monterey)
- OCIS Doctoral Consortium and Members poster presentation and reception (Saturday, August 6, 6pm – 7:30pm, Hilton Anaheim, California C)